1851 - Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, Samuel Lewis
EILEAN-NAN-RON, an island, in the parish of Tongue, county of Sutherland; containing 42 inhabitants. This island, situated to the west of Eilean-nan- Naomh, has at high water the appearance of two islands, and is partly under cultivation by a few tenants who, from a hollow in the form of a basin, containing land of much fertility, raise some fine crops of grain. The rocks rise precipitously to a great height, and on the north side are divided by numerous fissures, through which the wind rushes with force, carrying with it quantities of spray. See Tongue.