Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, Samuel Lewis - 1851
PORT-GOWER, a village, in the parish of Loth, county of Sutherland, 14 miles (N. E.) from Golspie; containing 236 inhabitants. This village, which is situated on the shore of the Moray Firth, about halfway between the kirktown of Loth and the village of Helmsdale, is neatly built, and inhabited by persons employed partly in the cultivation of the adjacent lands, and partly in the herring-fisheries. It has a commodious inn, on the parliamentary road from Dunrobin to the Ord of Caithness; and the parochial school is in the village. The coast, from the western extremity of the parish to Port-Gower, is a level sandy beach, interrupted occasionally by low rocks which are completely covered with the tide; but from Port-Gower to the Ord, at the eastern extremity of Loth, there is one continued chain of rugged limestone rocks.