1851 - Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, Samuel Lewis
TORRISDALE, a village, in the parish of Tongue, county of Sutherland, 6 miles (N. E. by E.) from the church of Tongue; containing 106 inhabitants. This village is situated on the north coast of the county, at the head of a small bay of its own name, and is tlie seat of a valuable salmon-fishery. The water of Borgie, also called Torrisdale, issues from Loch Laoghal, and pursuing a northern course, and separating the parish from that of Farr, falls into the sea at the village. At the east side of the bay is a small indentation called the bay of Farr.