"A parish of South East Edinburghshire, containing the village and station of Fushiebridge, on the Waverley section of the North British, 4¾ miles South East of Dalkeith and 12¾ South East of Edinburgh, as well as Gorebridge village, 7 furlongs North West of Fushiebridge.
The parish is bounded North by Cranston, East by Crichton, South East by Heriot, South West by Temple, North West by Carrington, Cockpen , and Newbattle.
Borthwick's grand antiquity is the castle at its kirktown, 3½ miles South East of Gorebridge, on a tongue of rocky land, protected South, East and North by deep and wooded ravines, down two of which flow the head-streams of the Gore. About 1½ miles lower down on the lands of Harvieston, beautifully situated by the side of the Gore, stands the ruined castle of Catcune, which is said to have been the seat of the Borthwicks before they had risen to eminence."
(Extract from Groomes Ordnance Gazetter of Scotland
Monumental inscriptions for Borthwick can be found at the Local Studies Centre in Loanhead.
The parish church has records for birth dating from 1706, for marriages from 1700 and for deaths from 1784. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Midlothian Studies Centre in Loanhead and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
The transcription of the section for Borthwick from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Borthwick to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Borthwick has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT356590 (Lat/Lon: 55.819585, -3.0297), Borthwick which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Following the Poor Law Act of 1843, the parish joined the Dalkeith Combination to provide poor relief in the Dalkeith Poorhouse.
For a social and economic record of the parishes of Mid Lothian together with considerable statistical material, see Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, which was compiled in the 1790s. Follow-up works to this were the New Statistical Account (also known as the Second Statistical Account) which was prepared in the 1830s and 1840s; and more recently the Third Statistical Account which has been prepared since the Second World War.
Thanks to a joint venture between the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh the First and Second Statistical Accounts can now be accessed on-line at The Statistical Accounts of Scotland, 1791-1799 and 1845.