"The burgh of Canongate, being a village to Edinburgh is governed by a baron baille, and two resident magistrates annually chosen by the Town Council of that city. Their jurisdiction extends beyond the bounds of the parish, to the east side of the Pleasance, and to the town on North Leith. They are ex officio justices of peace.
The interest of the Canongate, as a burgh, has also been hurt by the alteration of the carriage road to Leith, which has cut off, in great measure, the revenue it derived from the customs at the Watergate.
There are two ministers of the parish of Canongate. One is presented by the Crown and the other by the joint body of magistrates, Kirk Session, heritors and deacons of craft of the eight incorporations."
(From the Statistical Account of Scotland 1791-1799 Vol II)
The parish church has records for births dating from 1564, for marriages from 1564 and for deaths from 1565. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Edinburgh Room, Central Library, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
The transcription of the section for Canongate from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Page Created by Margaret A. Mitchell
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Canongate to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Canongate has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT265737 (Lat/Lon: 55.95111, -3.178063), Canongate which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)