"Pleasant Dalkeith! with its bonnie river, its gardens full of gooseberry bushes and pear-trees, its grass parks spotted with sheep, and its grand green woods."
(Extract from David Moir's "Mansie Wauch")
"A town and a parish in the East of Edinburghshire. The town stands 182 feet above sea level on a peninsular from 3 to 5 furlongs wide, between the North and South Esk`s and by roads 4 ¼ miles South by West of Musselburgh, and 6 miles South East of Edinburgh. The High Street widens Eastwards from 30 to 85 feet, and terminates at a gateway leading up to Dalkeith Palace, the principal seat of the Duke of Buccleuch, which palace, has centring round it all the chief episodes in Dalkeith`s history, must here be treated of before Dalkeith itself."
(Extract from Ordnance Gazeteer of Scotland 1885)
"The Origins of Street Names in Dalkeith" by Dr May G Williamson. Published by Midlothian Council Library Services, Tel: 0131 440 2210, in 1996. ISBN 1-900215-01-2
Monumental inscriptions for St Nicholas and West End, Dalkeith, can be found at the Local Studies Centre in Loanhead.
|St Mary's, Dalkeith, Episcopal|
|Buccleuch Church, Dalkeith, Church of Scotland|
|St Nicholas Buccleuch, Dalkeith, Church of Scotland|
|St David's, Dalkeith, Roman Catholic|
|St Luke's and St Anne's , Dalkeith, Roman Catholic|
The parish church has records for births dating from 1609, for marriages from 1639 and for deaths from 1701. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Midlothain Studies Centre in Loanhead and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
The transcription of the section for Dalkeith from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Dalkeith to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Dalkeith has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT343672 (Lat/Lon: 55.89373, -3.052777), Dalkeith which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
A poorhouse was built by Dalkeith Combination in 1848, for the parishes of Borthwick, Carrington, Cockpen, Cranston, Carrington, Dalkeith, Fala, Lasswade, Liberton, Newbattle, Newton, and Temple. Photos, and the 1881 census records, are available here.
The National Records of Scotland have records from the Parochial Board for the period 1842 - 1930, under the reference CO2/91B. This includes board minutes.
Below is a list of the population of Dalkeith in various years.
1801 3906 1821 5169 1841 5830 1861 7114 1871 7667 1881 7707 1891 7704
For a social and economic record of the parishes of Mid Lothian together with considerable statistical material, see Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, which was compiled in the 1790s. Follow-up works to this were the New Statistical Account (also known as the Second Statistical Account) which was prepared in the 1830s and 1840s; and more recently the Third Statistical Account which has been prepared since the Second World War.
Thanks to a joint venture between the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh the First and Second Statistical Accounts can now be accessed on-line at The Statistical Accounts of Scotland, 1791-1799 and 1845.