(Gael. inbhir-uisge, 'confluence of the water'), a village and a coast parish of NE Edinburghshire. The village stands above the right bank of the winding Esk, 5 furlongs S of Musselburgh, and ¼ mile N by W of Inveresk station on the main line of the North British, this being 6½ miles E by S of Edinburgh. Enjoying so healthy a climate as long to have been called the Montpelier of Scotland, it extends along a broad-based gentle ascent, whose higher parts command wide and delightful views - northward across the Firth of Forth, south-westward away to the Pentlands; and itself is a pleasant, old-fashioned place, whose trees and gardens, 18th-century mansions, and more recent villas give it somewhat the aspect of a Thames-side village. The parish church, on the western summit of the hill, is a plain edifice of 1805, with 2400 sittings, a high conspicuous spire, and a churchyard which for beauty is scarcely to be matched in all the kingdom.
(Extract from Groomes Ordnance Gazetteer
Many books pertaining to the parish are available.
Monumental Inscriptions have been taken.
|St Peter's, Musselburgh, Episcopal|
|High Church, Musselburgh, United Free Church of Scotland|
The parish church has records for births dating from 1607, for marriages from 1606 and for deaths from 1750. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Midlothian Studies Centre in Loanhead and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Further information on church records, such as births & baptisms, marriages, marriage contracts, deaths & burials, parish church, parish ministers (with a list of names), Old Parish Registers, church session and session clerks & precentors are available.
A selection of 18th century testaments of Inveresk inhabitants is available.
The transcription of the section for Inveresk from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Inveresk to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Inveresk has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Various maps of the parish are available.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT351709 (Lat/Lon: 55.926842, -3.040862), Inveresk which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
A "combination" poor house was established in Inveresk in 1862, in combination with the East Lothian parishes of Gladsmuir, Humbie, Ormiston, Pencaitland, Prestonpans, Salton, and Tranent. Duddingston (Edinburgh) and Haddington subsequently also joined this combination. Photos, and 1881 census records, are available here.
Parochial board records from 1871 - 1890 are available from the National Records of Scotland, under references CO2/85 and CO2/85/1.
Information on population statistics, such as a list of inhabitants, and the population of the parish in 1792 is available online.
Information on schoolmasters for theparish (with names given) is available online.
Fishing was one of the parish's main occupations and information on the Fisherrow Sailors' Society is available online.
For a social and economic record of the parishes of East Lothian together with considerable statistical material, see Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, which was compiled in the 1790s. Follow-up works to this were the New Statistical Account (also known as the Second Statistical Account) which was prepared in the 1830s and 1840s; and more recently the Third Statistical Account which has been prepared since the Second World War.
Thanks to a joint venture between the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh the First and Second Statistical Accounts can now be accessed on-line at The Statistical Accounts of Scotland, 1791-1799 and 1845.
Information on some of the town's records such as bailies & town treasurers, burgesses of Musselburgh, burgess tickets (with names given), chartularies, Notaries' protocal books (with names given), town clerks (with names given), Musselburgh burgh records and the town council is available online.
Page Created by Margaret A. Mitchell