"Penicuik (Cymric pen-y-cog, 'hill of the cuckcoo'), a town and a parish in the South of Edinburghshire. A burgh of barony and a police burgh, the town which stands, 600 feet above sea-level, on the left bank of the river North Esk, by road is 12 miles North by West of Peebles and 10 South of Edinburghshire.
The place wears a well-built airy appearance, superior to that of most towns of its size; contains some good shops and spacious well-to-do dwellings; and has a town hall, a post-office, with money order, savings bank, insurance, and telegraph departments, a branch of the Clydesdale Bank, 2 hotels, a gas company, a drinking fountain (1864), angling, bowling, cricket, and curling clubs, horticultural and ornithological societies, a drill hall, a cemetery, hiring fairs on the third Friday of March and the first Friday of October."
(Extract from Groomes Ordnance Gazetter of Scotland
"The Annals of Penicuik, Being a History of the Parish and of the Village" by John J Wilson, published by SPA Books Ltd, PO Box 47, Stevenage, Herts SG2 8UH in 1985, ISBN 0-907590-09-8. The book is 234 pages long and includes an index.
"The Prisoners at Penicuik, French and other prisoners of war, 1803-1814"by Ian MacDougall, published by Midlothian District Council, 1989, ISBN 0 9511915 4 3. The book is 94 pages long and includes an index of notes and references. Tells the story of the prisoners-of-war in the Napoleonic Wars in 1803-1814.
"Mauricewood Disaster, Mining in Midlothian"by Andrew B Donaldson, published by Midlothian District Libraries in 1989, ISBN 0 9511915 5 1. The book is 64 pages long. It tells the story of the Mauricewood Pit Disaster where 63 men and boys were killed in 1889. Two lists of the victims are given, the first gives their occupation, age, where they were working and when their bodies were recovered. The second is the Disaster Relief Fund and gives the names and dates of birth of the 102 Orphan Children under 14 years of age.
The Local Studies Centre in Loanhead hold monumental inscriptions for St Mungo`s Churchyard in Penicuik.
|Penicuik Baptish Church|
|St James, Scottish Episcopal, Penicuik|
|Bilston Parish Church, Church of Scotland|
|Penicuik North, Penicuik, Church of Scotland|
|Penicuik South, Penicuik, Church of Scotland|
|St Kentigerns, Penicuik, Church of Scotland|
|St Mungo's, Penicuik, Church of Scotland|
|Church of the Sacred Heart, Penicuik, Roman Catholic|
|Howgate UP Church, Howgate, United Presbyterian|
The parish church has records for births dating from 1654, for marriages from 1654 and for deaths from 1658. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Midlothian Studies Centre in Loanhead and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
The transcription of the section for Pennycuick from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Penicuik to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Penicuik has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT220594 (Lat/Lon: 55.821748, -3.245774), Penicuik which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)