"A town and a parish in the extreme west of Edinburghshire. The town stands, at 550 feet above sea level, on the right bank of the West Calder Burn and has a station on the Edinburgh and Glasgow direct section of the Caledonian, 5 7/8 west-southwest of Mid Calder Junction, 16 west-southwest of Edinburgh and 31¼ west of Glasgow. Since 1861 it has undergone great and rapid extension, chiefly in connection with neighbouring mineral works."
(Extract from Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland 1885)
The parish church has records for births dating from 1645, for marriages from 1677 and for deaths from 1677. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Midlothian Studies Centre in Loanhead and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world.