"A town and a parish in the extreme west of Edinburghshire. The town stands, at 550 feet above sea level, on the right bank of the West Calder Burn and has a station on the Edinburgh and Glasgow direct section of the Caledonian, 5 7/8 west-southwest of Mid Calder Junction, 16 west-southwest of Edinburgh and 31¼ west of Glasgow. Since 1861 it has undergone great and rapid extension, chiefly in connection with neighbouring mineral works."
(Extract from Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland 1885)
|West Calder Cemetery, West Calder, Cemetery|
|Old Parish Church, West Calder, Church of Scotland|
|West Calder, Church of Scotland|
|Hartwood UF, West Calder, United Presbyterian|
The parish church has records for births dating from 1645, for marriages from 1677 and for deaths from 1677. These are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh and copies on microfilm may be consulted in the Midlothian Studies Centre in Loanhead and also in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
The transcription of the section for West Calder from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Page Created by Margaret A. Mitchell
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from West Calder to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which West Calder has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT005602 (Lat/Lon: 55.824674, -3.590171), West Calder which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)