National Gazetteer, 1868
Alves - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"ALVES, a parish in the county of Elgin, Scotland, 5 miles to the W. of Elgin. It lies in a pleasant district, on the coast of the Moray Firth, and comprises the hamlets of Coltfield and Crook. There are quarries of freestone and millstone. The only relic of feudal times is the Castle of Asleisk, on the demesne of the Earl of Fife. The Knock of Alves is a small wooded hill at the east end of the parish; with which a tradition has been connected of Macbeth and the witches. The soil is generally fertile. The living is in the presbytery of Elgin, value £215, in the patronage of the Earl of Moray. The parish church was built in 1769, and has 590 sittings. There is also a Free church, three private schools, and a small parochial library. The parish contains about 25 square miles."
"COLTFIELD, a hamlet in the parish of Alves, in the county of Moray, Scotland, 6 miles W. of Elgin."
"COTTFIELD, a village in the parish of Alves, in the county of Elgin, Scotland, 6 miles W. of Elgin."
"CROOK, a hamlet in the parish of Alves, in the county of Elgin, Scotland, 5 miles W. of Elgin."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)