"KNOCKANDO, a parish in county Elgin, Scotland. It contains the village of Archieston, and the post-office station of Knockando, the latter being 7 miles S.E. of Rothes. The size of the parish is 10 miles by 2, the surface being considerably diversified with hill, glen, moorland, and mountain. It is watered by the river Spey and the burns Aldarder, Aldyoulie, and Balintomb. Much injury was done to this district by the great floods of 1829. There are several mineral springs. The chief seats are Knockando House and West Elchies House. The parish is in the presbytery of Aberlour and synod of Moray. The minister's stipend is £158. The parish church, erected in 1757, was repaired in 1832. The United Presbyterians, the Free Church, and Independents have each a place of worship. Throughout the parish there are six schools, two of which are parochial. The parish includes the ancient parishes of Knockando and Macallan, and vestiges of the church of the latter place are still visible. There are several mills and two distilleries."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)