"AUCHTERDAIR, a village in the county of Elgin, Scotland, not far from Duthill."
"AVIEMORE, a village in the county of Elgin, Scotland, 60 miles to the W. of Aberdeen. It is situated in a mountainous district on the banks of the river Spey. The Cairngorm rises a little to the south of the village, to the height of 4,050 feet. The military road to Inverness passes through Aviemore, and travellers find here a well-provided inn. The Aoudroenada coerulea, and the smallest of the water lilies, called the Naphor minima, together with several other rare and beautiful plants, are found in the district."
"BISHOPMILL, a village in the county of Moray, Scotland, near Elgin. It is seated on the banks of the river Lossie. See Elgin."
"COTS, a loch in the county of Elgin, Scotland. It is situated near St. Andrew's, between Loch Spynie and the sea, which, in the 12th century, covered the greater part of this district."
"COVERSEA, a beacon in the county of Elgin, Scotland, 4 miles W. of Lossiemouth. It is situated 160 feet above the sea, and the revolving light can be seen for 20 miles."
"DALCARLINCH, a village in the county of Elgin, Scotland, 4 miles S.W. of Duttril."
"DALCHRAY, a village in the county of Elgin, Scotland, 2 miles S.W. of Inveraven. It is situated on the river Spey."
"FINDHORN, a river traversing the counties of Inverness, Nairn, and Moray, Scotland. It issues from the Monadleadh hills in Badenoch, Inverness-shire, and falls into the Moray Firth after a course of 50 miles. It is crossed by bridges at Forces and Dulsie, and passes Redhill and Darnaway. The scenery on its banks is very fine, particularly in Moray, and its fisheries are extensive. The river is subject to sudden and destructive floods."
"GORDON CASTLE, near Fochabers, county Elgin, Scotland. It is a large quadrangular building, with a noble tower, built in the 11th century, and was formerly the residence of the dukes of Gordon. Upon the death of the fifth and last duke in 1836 it passed to the Duke of Richmond. It contains a good picture gallery, theatre, and library containing many MSS."
"LENNOCK WATER, a tributary of the Lossie, county Elgin, Scotland. It has a course of about 10 miles, and on its bank are the remains of Plascarden Abbey."
"LOCHINDORF CASTLE, in county Elgin, Scotland. It was besieged by Edward III, in 1336."
"LOCHTIE WATER, a tributary of the river Lossie, county Elgin, Scotland."
"LOSSIE, a river rising in Edenkillie, county Elgin, Scotland, and after a course of 26 miles, falls into the Moray Firth."
"MAVISTONS, shifting sandhills on the coast of Elgin, Scotland, near Dyke and Burghead."
"ORTON, a junction station on the Great North of Scotland and Inverness and Perth Junction railways, county Elgin, Scotland, 6 miles from Elgin."
"PLUSCARDINE, a priory in the county of Elgin, Scotland, 4 miles S.W. of Elgin. It was founded by Alexander II. in 1230 for Cistercian monks, and was subsequently made a cell to Dunfermline. The ruins, which comprise the cruciform church embellished with wall paintings, the octagonal chapterhouse, and the cloisters, 114 feet long, now used as a chapel, are situated in a glen belonging to the Earl of Fife."
"SPEY, a river and loch of the counties of Inverness and Elgin, Scotland. It rises in Badenoch, under the Grampians, and flows by a rapid course of 80 miles in a N.E. direction to the Moray Firth at Garmouth. It is apt to flood, and has a salmon fishery said to be worth £6,000 a-year."
"SUEONO'S MONUMENT, (or The Standing Stone), an ancient monument carved with runes; in county Elgin, Scotland, near Forres. It is a slab of hard granite, 25 feet high and 4 broad at the foot, upon a base of four steps."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)