"RAFFORD, a parish in the county of Elgin, Scotland. It includes a post-office village of the same name. The parish extends 8 miles in length from E. to W., with a varying breadth of from 3 to 4 miles. It is bounded by the parishes of Forres, Kinlop, Alves, Elgin, Dallas, Edenkillie, and Dyke and May. The surface is of a diversified character, in some parts being moory. From the uplands varied prospects are obtained. Within the last half century much of the moor and mossland has been reclaimed, and is now in a prosperous and productive condition. Stone and slate are abundant. The parish is traversed by the road from Forres to Grantown. The village, which is distant about 3 miles S.E. of Forres, is a station on the Inverness and Perth railway. It is situated on the river Findhorn. In the neighbourhood are Sueno's Danish pillar, 23 feet in height, also Burgie Castle, erected in 1602. This parish is in the presbytery of Forres and synod of Moray. The minister has a stipend of £233. The parish church was erected in 1826. There are a Free church, a parochial school, and three other schools. Fairs are held at the beginning of April and November for cattle."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- The transcription of the section for Rafford from the National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rafford to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Rafford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NJ062560 (Lat/Lon: 57.584452, -3.569721), Rafford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)