Walls & Flotta
"Walls and Flotta, par., Orkney, 24,327 ac., pop. 1506; comprises the S. portion of Hoy island, and the whole of Flotta and Pharay islands."
From John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887
Old Parish Registers - Walls
- Baptisms, 1801-1854. Only one entry Nov 1806-Oct 1810. No entries for 1819.
- Marriages, 1823-1854.
- Burials, 1823-1854.
Old Parish Registers - Flotta
- Baptisms, 1753-1854. Only one entry July 1757-Mar 1760 and one for 1818. Record seems to be a copy.
- Marriages, 1786-1854. No entries Dec 1799-Feb 1802, only one from Nov 1807-Jan 1814, after which the record is very meager.
- Burials. No entries.
Other church records (held at Orkney Archives in Kirkwall).
- Ref: OCR/KC/28: Walls and Flotta Kirk Session: Baptisms Flotta and Pharay 1904-1983, Communion Roll Flotta and Pharay 1903-1912, Communion Roll for Walls 1929-1963, Proclamations of marriage banns in Walls 1945-1975.
- Ref: OCR/KC/29: St. John's Chapel, Walls: St. John's and Melsetter Mission Communion Roll 1933-1985.
The Flotta Web Guide currently (April 2006) covers Flotta and Fara/Pharay births 1840-1854, Flotta and Fara/Pharay marriages 1845-1854, and Walls Deaths 1823-1844 and can be searched by name or by date.
The Registrar of births, deaths, and marriages for the island of Flotta.
Registrations in Walls are handled by the registrar for Hoy.
The Registrar's records extend back only as far as 1st January 1855 when registration became compulsory in Scotland.
A website focusing on the island of Flotta, including a message board for genealogical queries can be found at www.flottawebguide.co.uk.
- The transcription of the section for Walls and Flotta from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Walls & Flotta to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Walls & Flotta has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ND300942 (Lat/Lon: 58.829723, -3.214213), Walls & Flotta which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)