"KILBUCHO, a parish on the west border of Peebles-shire, united to Broughton and Glenholm ... It is bounded by Lanarkshire, Skirling, Broughton, and Glenholm ... Population in 1831, 353; in 1851, 345."
From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's volume of Peeblesshire Monumental Inscriptions.
Graham and Emma Maxwell have transcribed and indexed the 1851 census for this parish.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1749. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Records of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For further details of this see the National Records of Scotland website.
A 19th century account of Kilbucho is available online.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilbucho to another place.
Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson and published by A. Fullarton and Co - 1868
KILBUCHO, a parish on the west border of Peebles-shire, united to Broughton and Glenholm. See BROUGHTON. It is bounded by Lanarkshire, Skirling, Broughton, and Glenholm. It has a triangular outline, measuring 4½ miles on the north side, the same on the south-east side, and 3¾ on the south-west side. Biggar-water, coming in from the north-west, traces nearly the whole of the northern boundary. Kilbucho-water rises on the side of Cardon-hill at the southern angle, runs 1¼ mile due north, and thence flows north-eastward parallel with the south-east boundary, till it falls into Biggar-water. Cardon-hill rises 1,400 feet above the level of the Tweed, which is at 3 miles' distance. From theis hill a chain runs north-eastward till it strikes Biggar-water; and over the whole distance it forms a water-shedding line, constitutes the boundary, and consists of heights whose sides and summits are covered with heath and grass. At the base of this ridge is a narrow and pleasant vale watered by the Kilbucho. Screening this vale on the north-west side, and parellel with the first ridge, is a broader and less stronger featured stretch of heights, also clothed in mingled russet and green. Beyond this ridge, a beautiful valley, comparatively broader and finely decorated with wood on the west, somewhat contracted as it advances eastward, and again expanding as it forms an angular junction with the former valley, stretches along the Biggar-water. In the north-east angle stands the church of the united parishes; and 1½ mile inward, from the southern angle is the site of the ancient church of Kilbucho. The saint from whom the parish has its name was either a female called Bega, of whom nothing is known, or, more probably, by a corruption of the orthography, the celebrated Bede. Tradition reports that a number of monks of Bede's order settled in the parish, and that they rai
You can see the administrative areas in which Kilbucho has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The annals of a Tweeddale parish: the history of the United Parish of Broughton, Glenholm and Kilbucho (civil and ecclesiastical) by A. Baird, published 1924 at Glasgow.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT094354 (Lat/Lon: 55.603512, -3.439944), Kilbucho which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)