"STOBO, a parish, containing a post-office station of its own name, in Peebles-shire. It is bounded by Newlands, Lyne, Peebles, Manor, Drummelzier, and Glenholm ... Population in 1831, 440; in 1861, 478."
From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
Nigel Hardie has transcribed and published parish of Stobo deaths for 1819-1854.
Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's volume of Peeblesshire Monumental Inscriptions.
Graham and Emma Maxwell have transcribed and indexed the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census returns for this parish.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1783. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Records of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For further details of this see the National Records of Scotland website.
A 19th century account of Stobo is available online.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stobo to another place.
1868, Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson and published by A. Fullarton and Co
STOBO, a parish, containing a post-office station of its own name, in Peebles-shire. It is bounded by Newlands, Lyne, Peebles, Manor, Drummelzier, and Glenholm. Its length north-north-eastward is 6 miles; and its mean breadth is between 3 and 4 miles. Biggar water runs a short distance on the south-western boundary. The Tweed, immediately after receiving Biggar water, runs about 6½ miles partly on the southern boundary, partly in the interior, and partly on the south-eastern boundary. Lyne water runs along the northern and north-eastern boundary to a junction with the Tweed. The western border of the parish has a basis of no less than 700 feet higher than the eastern, or the level of the Tweed; and from this basis it sends up summits, four or five of which rise upwards of 1,600 feet above sea-level, but all of which necessarily appear, from the low or rather table grounds in their vicinity, to be of inconsiderable altitude. The chief is PYKED STANE: which see. All the western division is wildly upland, and fit only for sheep-pasture. The interior heights are on the whole arranged into three chains or ranges, which extend east-south-eastward,—diminish in altitude as they approach the Tweed,—enclose between them two vales, each drained by its own stream,—and overlook, respectively on the north and the south, the vale of the Lyne and that of the Tweed. Some of the hills are green; but most are covered with heath. The vale of the Tweed is naturally beautiful, and not a little artificially embellished. Greywacke, more or less of a slaty structure, is the prevailing rock; and clayslate of a dark-blue colour, and well adapted to roofing purposes, occurs in some quantity, and has been extensively quarried. The total extent of arable land is about 1,300 acres, and of woodland about 600 acres. The soil presents much variety, yet is prevalently a light fertile loam,
You can see the administrative areas in which Stobo has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT166387 (Lat/Lon: 55.6349, -3.327072), Stobo which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)