"ARNGASK, parish in the counties of Kinross, Fife, and Perth. It contains Damhead village, with post office under Kinross. Acres of the Kinross part, 1801; of the Fife part, 1834; of the Perth part, 2815. Real property in 1880-81, £1897, £2379, £2506. Pop. 129, 219, 199. The surface includes hills of the Ochils, and is richly diversified. The church contains 380 sittings, and the public schoolhas accomodation for 150 scholars."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882
The interment register is available at the local council offices in Kinross. Please consult the cemeteries page.
There are pre 1855 inscriptions available in Monumental inscriptions (pre-1855) in South Perthshire.
The GRO(S) Ref. No. is 404 up to and including 1891. Thereafter it is 328c. Please consult the county page for general information.
Please consult the county page for general information.
Church of Scotland (OPR)
|GRO(S) Ref. No.|
|404/1||B 1688-1726||M 1689-1726||D 1702-26|
|404/2||B 1726-47||M 1726-48||D 1726-48|
|404/3||B 1748-82||M 1748-80||D 1748-80|
|404/4||B 1783-1819||M 1780-1819||D 1780-1819|
|404/5||B 1820-54||M 1820-54||D 1820-54|
- The transcription of the section for Arngask from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Arngask to another place.
Until 15th May 1891, the parish of Arngask was situated partly in the county of Fife, partly in the county of Kinross and partly in the county of Perth. On that date, various changes to the parish and county boundaries were made and from that time the whole parish of Arngask was included in the county of Perth. The following subjects remained in the parish of Arngask but were transferred from the county of Fife to the county of Perth: Arngask Manse, Arngask Mansion House, Damhead, Gallaknowe, Balvaird, Blindwells Farm, Newton of Balcanquhal, Conland Farm, Edenshead, Pitillock Farm, Duncrievie, Glenfarg, Newfargie, Haughs of Newfargie, Letham and Forester's Seat, Muirfield, Summerfield, Old Fargie and Fargie Bank.
Until 15th May 1891, the parish of Arngask was situated partly in the county of Fife, partly in the county of Kinross and partly in the county of Perth. On that date, various changes to the parish and county boundaries were made and from that date the whole parish of Arngask was included in the county of Perth.
Before 15 May 1891:
|in Fife:||in Kinross-shire:||in Perthshire:|
|Arngask House||Barley Mill||Abbotsdeuglie|
|Balcanquhal House||Birniehill||Abbotsdeuglie Cottage|
|Burial Ground||Candy||Blairstruie Cottage|
|Conland||Damhead (part)||Damhead Smithy|
|Edenhead||Duncrevie Cottage||Easter Abbotsdeughlie|
|Foresterseat||Duncrevie House||Easter Fordel|
|Gallows Knowe||East Blair||Eastertown / Easterton|
|Glenfarg (part)||Free Church||Fordel|
|Hays Mill||Glendy Mill||Fordel Cottage|
|Letham Bridge||Hayfield Mill||Glenfarg (part)|
|Letham Cottages||Hilton of Crevie||Glenfarg Cottage|
|Manse||Hilton of Duncrevie||Glenhead Cottage|
|New Fargie Cottages||Langside||Letham Bridge|
|New Fargie Farm||Ledgerhead||Lochelbank|
|New Fargie House||Lossley Bridge||Lustylaw|
|Newton of Balcanquhal||Low Plains||Manse (Free Church)|
|North Conland||Plains||Middle Deuglie|
|Old Arngask Church||Rashiefauld||North Hayfield|
|Old Fargie||Redfordnook||Paris Bridge|
|Old Fargie Cottage||Smithyhill||Paris Cottage|
|Old Manse||Thievesmill Bridge||Scarhill|
|Pittillock||West Blair||Wellies / Well Eyes|
|Prins Pendicle||Wester Abbotsdeuglie|
|Smiths Pendicle||Wester Fordel|
After 15 May 1891, all places are in Perthshire.
"ARNGASK, a parish chiefly in the Cupar district of the county of Fife, partly also in the county of Perth and county Kinross, Scotland, 5 miles to the N. of Kinross, its post town. It is situated on the Farg Water, at the eastern extremity of the Ochill hills, and contains the villages of Damhead and Duncrivie. The predominant rock in the district is trap, and the soil is of various kinds, much of it good. The living, value £179, is in the presbytery of Perth, and in the patronage of Mrs. Wardlaw and the Laird of Fordels. The ancient church of Arngask was given to the monastery of Cambuskenneth in the year 1281. It remained in connection with that establishment till 1606, when the abbacy was made a temporal lordship, and this church and many others were declared the parish kirks of their localities. It contains also a Free church and an endowed school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
"ARNGASK, a parish in the counties of Perth, Kinross, and Fife. Its post-town is Kinross. It is bounded by the parishes of Strathmiglo, Abernethy, Dron, Forgandenny, Forteviot, and Orwell. It has a somewhat circular form, and is about 4 miles in diameter. Its surface is wavingly and roundedly hilly, lying among the Ochils, with summits of from 600 to 800 feet above sea-level, varied and pleasing in appearance, and commanding extensive and beautiful prospects. The landowners who have more than £50 a-year of land-value amount to twenty-eight; and ten of them are resident. There are two small villages, Damhead and Duncrivie; there are four corn-mills and a saw-mill. The little river Farg and the road from Edinburgh to Perth pass through the interior."
From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
You can see the administrative areas in which Arngask has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NO132108 (Lat/Lon: 56.281662, -3.403672), Arngask which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)