"DULL, village and parish in Perthshire. The village stands in Appin vale, 3 miles west of Aberfeldy; had anciently an abthanery, or peculiar kind of monastery, with right of sanctuary; and has now a very ancient market cross, a parochial church with about 600 sittings, and a public school with about 105 scholars. - The parish contains also Amulree village and Aberfeldy town. It comprises 5 separate districts, and is so intersected by other parishes as to measure about 30 miles from end to end. Its area is 63,417 acres. Real property in 1880-81, £19,807. Pop. quoad civilia, 2565; quoad sacra, 1997. The districts are Appin, Grandtully, Amulree, Foss, and Fincastle. The surface comprises every variety from wild portions of the Grampians to exquisite portion of the Tay's valley; and is diversified by so many as 21 lakes. The seats are Grandtully, Foss, Moness, Cluny, and Dercluich; and the antiquities include several standing-stones, moats, barrows, and Pictish forts, and an ancient Caledonian stone circle. Churches of various denominations are at Aberfeldy, Amulree, Grandtully and Tumel-Bridge; and public schools are at Amulree, Grandtully and Foss."
Wilson, Rev. John, The Gazetteer of Scotland,1882.
The interment registers for 1, 2 and 3 are available at the local council offices in Pitlochry. Please consult the cemeteries page.
There are pre-1855 inscriptions available for all in Monumental inscriptions (pre-1855) in North Perthshire
Please consult the county page for general information.
Church of Scotland (OPR)
GRO(S) Ref. No. 346/1 B 1703-40 M 1703-40 D- 346/2 B 1740-62 M 1740-62 D- 346/3 B 1763-82 M 1763-83 D- 346/4 B 1783-1805 M 1783-1801 D- 346/5 B 1783-1819 M 1799-1819 D- 346/6 B 1820-54 M 1820-54 D-
- The transcription of the section for Dull from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Dull to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Dull has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NN815469 (Lat/Lon: 56.598645, -3.932009), Dull which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)