"ABBEY, parish, containing parts of Paisley and Barrhead, all Johnstone, and several villages in Renfrewshire. Its length is nearly 9 miles, its greatest breadth about 5½ miles, its area 15,924 acres.... The surface is partly flat, partly a variety of valley, undulation, and low hill-ridge, and partly the Gleniffer portion of the Fereneze Hills. Coal, ironstone, limestone, and aluminous slate abound, and are largely worked. Factories and other industrial establishments are numerous. There are many fine modern residences, several old mansions, and the ruined castles of Crookston and Stanley. The parochial church is part of the Abbey, to be noticed in our account of Paisley; and other churches are in Paisley, Barrhead, Johnstone, and Elderslie. 10 schools, for 2338 scholars, are in the parts outside Paisley burgh, and 2 of them and enlargements for 1098 are new."
From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.