"EAGLESHAM, town and parish in south-east of Renfrewshire. The town stands 9 miles south of Glasgow; possessed some importance in the time of Charles II; was entirely rebuilt, on a neat regular plan, subsequent to 1796; and has a post office under Glasgow, a banking office, a cotton factory, Established, Free, United Presbyterian, and Roman Catholic churches, and a public school with about 106 scholars. Pop. 888."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]