"EASTWOOD, parish, containing Pollockshaws And Thornliebank towns and Shawlands village, on border of Renfrewshire, near south-west side of Glasgow. Its length is nearly 4 miles; its greatest breadth 3¾ miles; its area 5596 acres. Real property in 1880-81, £61,499. Pop., quoad civilia, 13,915; quoad sacra, 7368. The surface lies at an elevation of from about 30 to about 300 feet above sea-level; is an assemblage of flats, vales, and many swells and small hills with intersections of the White Cart and other streams; and presents, in the aggregate, a very beautiful appearance. Sandstone, limestone, ironstone, and coal are worked. Pollock House, a seat of Sir John M. Maxwell, Bart., is a prominent mansion."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]
Two Established churches, 2 Free churches, a United Presbyterian church, a United Original Secession church, and a Roman Catholic church are in Pollockshaws, an Established church is in Shawlands, and a United Presbyterian church is in Thornliebank."
From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.
Records in the old parish registers (OPRs) for Eastwood parish span the following years:
Births or Baptisms ~ 1674-1854
Marriages or Banns ~ 1693-1756 and 1759-1854
Deaths or Burials ~ no records
Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. Edinburgh, see the GRO tutorial.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Eastwood to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Eastwood has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NS543601 (Lat/Lon: 55.812213, -4.326933), Eastwood which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)