"Langside, an old village and a fine residential district of Glasgow, adjoining the Queen’s Park, and containing a handsome Established church, erected at a cost of about £5000 and seated for 700 persons. In 1894 a new Free church, built after the amphitheatre fashion, was erected at an estimated expense of about £8000 (including halls), and contains about 900 sittings. Adjoining the sites of the two churches stands the Langside Battlefield Memorial—a carved monument, surmounted by a lion, and encircled by an ornamental railing. See GLASGOW."
From Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland, 1892-96
"LANGSIDE, a vil. in the par. of Cathcart, co. Renfrew, Scotland, 2 miles S. of Glasgow. It was the scene of the victory gained by Regent Murray, in 1568, over Mary Queen of Scots, before her flight into England."
From The National Gazetteer of UK and Ireland, 1868