"PORT GLASGOW, town and parish on north coast of Renfrewshire. ..... The parish excludes a western part of the town, measures about 1½ miles by 1, and comprises 944 acres. ..... Pop. of the whole, quoad civilia, 10,912; quoad sacra, 7556. The surface comprises prolongation of the low flat tract contiguous to the Clyde, a rapid ascent of green and wooded hill thence to the middle, and a tabular tract thence to the southern boundary."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]
Records in the old parish registers (OPRs) for Port Glasgow parish span the following years:
Births or Baptisms ~ 1696-1854
Marriages or Banns ~ 1696-1854
Deaths or Burials ~ no records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Port Glasgow to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Port Glasgow has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NS333735 (Lat/Lon: 55.92529, -4.669443), Port Glasgow which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)