Hide

St Moluag, Lewis, Scottish Episcopal

hide
Hide
image
Hide

St Moluag,
Ness,
Lewis

Hide
topup

Church History

St Moluag, Eoropaidh

This ancient church, Teampall Mholuaidh, founded in 1300, was derelict but restored about 1912. The long and straight path to the church is paralleled by grassy strip fields.

St Moluag's church (Scottish Gaelic: Teampall Mholuaidh) is a 13th Century church in the village of Eoropie in Ness in the Isle of Lewis in Scotland.

The church has a basic T shaped structure, with two small chapels on either side of the main body of the church. The southern chapel can only be accessed from outside. There is a lot of speculation about the ancient origins of this place of worship; one tradition tells that St Ronan founded the church, before retiring to the Isle of Rona (in legend travelling on the back of a whale).

The church is now in use as a Scottish Episcopal Church. There are ruins of another temple 'Teampall Ronaidh' about 500m north east of Teampall Mholuaidh and remains of another temple 'Teampall Pheadair' are about 2km south west of Teampall Mholuaidh beside the old graveyard near the village of Swainbost.

topup

Maps

It is located at NB5192865168 (Lat/Lon 58.503828, -6.260163). You can see this on maps provided by:

Hide
hide