"EDDERTON, a parish in the district of Easter Ross, county Ross and Cromarty, Scotland, 4 miles N.W. of Tain, its post town. It lies along the S. shore of Dornoch Firth, and is otherwise bounded by the parishes of Tain, Logie-Easter, Kilmuir-Easter, Rosskeen, and Kincardine. It is 10 miles in length and 7 wide. The parish is screened in by four hills, the highest of which is 1,300 feet. The surface assumes the form of three steps, each differing in the nature of its soil, which is drained by four rivulets falling into the Firth; one of these burns (Grugag) has a very fine fall. This parish is in the presbytery of Tain, and synod of Ross. The minister has a stipend of £204. The church was built in 1842. Here is a school, attached to the Free church, which was the old parish church, built in 1743. Balnagowan is the seat of Sir C. Ross, Bart.; other seats are Cadboll and Ardmore. A battle was fought here, on Carriblair plain, with the Danes; and a pillar, and some other rude monuments, are said to denote the graves of a Danish prince and his retinue. There are also several round towers or dunes and Druidical remains in the parish."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Edderton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Edderton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NH667836 (Lat/Lon: 57.821969, -4.246573), Edderton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)