GLENSHIEL - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"GLENSHIEL, a parish in the district of Wester Ross, county Ross and Cromarty, Scotland, 16 miles S. of Strome Castle, including Letterfearn and the post-office station of Shielhouse. Its length is 26 miles, and its average breadth 4. It is bounded by the parishes of Kiltarlity, Urquhart, Kilmanivaig, Glenelg, Kybe Rhea, and Loch Duieh. The surface is rocky and mountainous, with large tracts of pasturage. This parish is in the presbytery of Loch Carron and synod of Glenelg, in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £158. The church is at Letterfearn, and was built in 1758. Here is also a parish school. This parish was separated from that of Kintail about a century ago. Glenshiel, with the neighbouring territory, formerly belonged to Lord Seaforth, who was defeated by the English in June, 1719, in Glenshiel Pass. Loch Duich abounds in herrings; and there are cattle fairs at Shiolhouse in May, July, and September."
"BEN FAD, a mountain range in the parish of Glenshiel, Ross-shire, Scotland, about 4,000 feet in height."
"BEN MORE, a mountain range in the parish of Glenshiel, Ross-shire, Scotland, about 4,000 feet above the sea."
"LETTERFEARN, (or Ardintoul), a district in the parish of Glenshiel, county Ross, Scotland. It extends along the shore of Loch Duick.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003