"KILLIERNAN, a parish in the county Ross and Cromarty, Scotland, 5 miles N.W. of Inverness, its post town. It is situated on Beauly Loch, and is 5 miles long by 2 broad. It is bounded inland by the parishes of Urray, Urquhart, and Kilmuir-wester. The great N. road from Kessock Ferry traverses the interior. This parish is in the presbytery of Chanonry, and synod of Ross. The church is ancient. There are a Free church and two private schools. Redcastle is the seat of Henry James Baillie, M.P. for Inverness. Kilcoy Castle, now a ruin, belongs to the M'Kenzies of Cromarty, who are the landowners. A Druidical circle, called Cairn Irenan, and several cairns, are observed on the hills. Fairs are held in March and July."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Killiernan to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Killiernan has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NH592518 (Lat/Lon: 57.534024, -4.352967), Killiernan which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)