KILTEARN - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"KILTEARN, a parish in the county of Ross and Cromarty, Scotland, 6 miles N.E. of Dingwall. It is situated on the Cromarty Firth and river Skiack, the latter being formed by the union of several mountain streams. The parish, formerly a vicarage, is in the presbytery of Dingwall and synod of Ross. The minister's stipend is £249, in the patronage of the crown. The church contains tombs of the Munros of Fowlis. The Free Church has a place of worship here. Coal, iron, and lead are found here, but obstacles exist in working them. There are mills of various descriptions in the neighbourhood. The surface is cultivated near the coast, but hilly in other parts, Ben Uaish or Wyvis Point is the highest, being 3,720 feet above the level of the sea, and capped with snow during all the year. There are five old chapels and burying places. Not long since there was a Druidical circle of stones here, but they have been removed in the progress of agriculture."
"DRUMMOND, a village in the parish of Kiltearn, in the county of Ross, Scotland, on the road from Dingwall to Novar Inn. It is situated near the shores of Cromarty Firth. Fairs are held here in June and December."
"EVANTON, a postal village in the parish of Kiltearn, county Ross, Scotland, near Cromarty Firth. It contains a meeting-house and schools."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003