Hide

Kincardine, Church of Scotland

hide
Hide
image
Hide

Church of Scotland,
Kincardine

Hide
topup

Church History

St. Columba's Church, parish church of Kincardine is listed as one of the churches of the Diocese of Ross (Macrae 1923) and seems to occupy the site of its predecessors. It was built in 1799.

The church is believed to occupy the site of a previous church or churches. It is now disused. On the lintel of the door on the south side of the church at its east end are the initials M A.G. and the date 1799.

The graveyard contains a recumbent graveslab.

This substantial slab is carved in relief on two of its narrow faces. According to the Statistical Account, ‘the ends and sides are full of figures and characters’, but any such carving on the other two narrow faces and the top has been obliterated, and two hollows have been created in the underside. Above a plain flatband moulding along the base, the two carved faces are framed by a roll moulding. The long face A is divided into a long panel flanked by two short panels by vertical roll mouldings. The left-hand panel contains an image of the hunt, with a horseman and two hounds in pursuit of a stag, all moving to the right. The central panel shows, from the left, two long-necked quadrupeds sitting enmeshed in a bush vine scroll, an image of David rending the jaws of a lion with a sheep above his left shoulder and a harp above his right shoulder, and two horsemen side by side riding to the right. The last panel contains two angels. Face B displays a figural scene which is now difficult to discern.

Date: ninth century.

References: Stat Acct 1792, vol 3, 512; ECMS pt 3, 85; Trench-Jellicoe 1997, 168-70; Macnamara 1999, 9; Henderson & Henderson 2004, 203, 207, illus 297.

The church is now home to the Kyle of Sutherland Heritage Society.

topup

Maps

It was located at NH6050089420 (Lat/Lon 57.87239, -4.353569). You can see this on maps provided by:

Hide
hide