"KINTAIL, a parish in the county of Ross and Cromarty, Scotland. It is surrounded by the parishes of Glenshiel and Lochalsh, and a part of the county of Inverness, and is situated between lochs Dunach and Long. It comprises the villages of Dornie (post-office), Bundalloch, and Kintail. Its average size is 13 miles by 6, and its surface for the most part consists of mountain pasture, well adapted for all kinds of stock. The parish is in the presbytery of Lochcarron, and synod of Glenelg. The minister's stipend is £117, in the patronage of the crown. The parish church is so old that the roof fell in during divine service, in October, 1855, but without injury to any. The Roman Catholics have a place of worship at Dornie. In this district are two Society's schools. Not far from the church is Diamond's tomb. Donan Castle, which belonged to the Seaforth family, was battered down in 1719. In the neighbourhood is the waterfall of Glomach. The parish is wholly encompassed by mountains, of which Tullochard, the loftiest, commands a distant prospect of the Hebrides."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- The transcription of the section for Kintail from the National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kintail to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Kintail has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NH036286 (Lat/Lon: 57.305656, -5.261813), Kintail which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)