"URQUHART, (and Logie Wester) a parish in the district of Wester Ross, county Ross and Cromarty, Scotland. It includes the detached district of Nairnshire, designated Ferintosh, and the villages of Conanbridge and Culbockie. It extends in length about 9 miles, by a breadth of about 3½ miles, and resembles in form a rectangle, extending from N.N.E. to S.S.W. It is bounded on the N.W. by the river Conan and the Cromarty Firth, which separates it from Urray, Fodderty, Dingwall, and Kiltearn. The surface is an inclined plane, gradually declining towards the Firth and the Conan. The land is fertile and well wooded. The prevailing rock is Old Red sandstone. On the moors stone coffins have been discovered. The parish is traversed by the great N. road across the S.W. corner, and by two roads across the Mullbuy towards Knockbain and Fortrose. This parish is in the presbytery of Dingwall and synod of Ross. The stipend of the minister is about £201. The parish church was erected in 1795. There are a Free church, a parochial school, and two non-parochial schools. The principal seats are Ferintosh, Conanside, and Findon."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- The transcription of the section for Urquhart from the National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Urquhart to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Urquhart has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NH581567 (Lat/Lon: 57.578201, -4.375423), Urquhart which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)