The Borders Family History Society has published two booklets of monumental inscriptions: the first covers Kelso Old Parish and Abbey graveyards, the second covers Kelso Rosebank Cemetery.
The Scottish Borders Archive and Local History Centre holds the Kelso Cemetery Mortality Record for 1871-1929 (reference R/PR/1/11/34). This records burials in the town during this period.
See under Newspapers for details of pre-1855 death notice indexes compiled from old Borders newspapers.
Local websites giving information about the modern town, photographs, maps, and also articles about its history are:
An account of the parish (history, topography etc.) may be found in the Borders Family History Society's booklet of monumental inscriptions.
You can see pictures of Kelso which are provided by:
A reprint of John Wood's plan of Kelso compiled in the early 19th century is available from Caledonian Maps. This was one of a number of plans of Scottish towns compiled during the period 1818-1825, most naming streets and property owners.
Ordnance Survey maps covering Kelso include:
- Landranger 74: Kelso & surrounding area - scale 1:50000, or 1.25inch:1mile, or 2cm:1km
- Pathfinder 462: Kelso - scale 1:25000, or 2.5inch:1mile, or 4cm:1km
The town is also covered by an old Victorian one-inch to the mile Ordnance Survey map published by Caledonian Maps. The relevant sheet is sheet number 25 "Kelso & Melrose" which also includes Earlston, Galashiels, Gordon, Greenlaw, Lauder, Polwarth, Roxburgh, St Boswells, Selkirk and Westruther.
The National Records of Scotland holds the following as part of its collection of maps and plans:
- 1736: A Survey of Floors. Scale 1:4800. Size 68x52cm. Grid (map) reference NT7134. NRS reference RHP.3234
- 1805: Chalkheugh with roads and properties adjoining. Scale 1:288. Size 74x31cm. Grid (map) reference NT7234. NRS reference RHP.4434
- 1813: Plan of march between the Roxburgh Estate and Sharpetlaw in the River Tweed. Scale 1:1200. Size 69x39cm. Grid (map) reference NT7434. NRS reference RHP.4219
- 1820: Detailed plan of Kelso and surrounding lands copied from plans made in 1769. Scale 1:3600. Size 95x130cm. Grid (map) reference NT7234. NRS reference RHP.3630
- 1820: Three sketch plans of lots in Kelso. Size 52x52cm. Grid (map) reference NT7234. NRS reference RHP.3542/1-3
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT718332 (Lat/Lon: 55.591376, -2.449777), Kelso which are provided by: