"A parish in the county of Roxburgh, 8 miles long and from 1 to 2½ miles broad. The face of the country presents a continued range of hills, separated only by small rivulets, and gradually ascending from E. to W. The soil is poor and shallow, chiefly adapted for sheep pasture. Population in 1801, 320."
From the Gazetteer of Scotland published 1806, Edinburgh.
The Borders Family History Society has published a booklet of monumental inscriptions for Cavers and Kirkton.
Graham and Emma Maxwell have transcribed and indexed the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census returns for this parish.
Kirkton may have been the same as the medieval Cavers Parva (Little Cavers). For a discussion of this see The parishes of medieval Scotland by Ian Cowan, published by the Scottish Record Society at Edinburgh in 1967.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1707. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Records of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
The parish registers available worldwide on microfilm include some kirk session records:
- In part 794/1: minutes and accounts for 1742-1756
- In part 794/2: accounts for 1705-1819
- In part 794/3: accounts for 1820-1844
More information on kirk sessions and their records can be found in the Church Records section of the Roxburghshire page.
Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For further details of this see the National Records of Scotland website.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kirkton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Kirkton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT540138 (Lat/Lon: 55.416306, -2.728622), Kirkton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)