"LADHOPE, a quod sacra parish on the north-west border of Roxburghshire. It was constituted by the Court of Teinds in 1855. It comprises part of the post-town of Galashiels, and the north-western part of the quod civilia parish of Melrose." From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
The Borders Family History Society has published a CD of monumental inscriptions in Old Ladhope cemetery.
A list of inscriptions in Ladhope cemetery may be found in the following volume:
- "Gravestone inscriptions prior to 1855: Vol 2. Galashiels Old Cemetery, Ladhope and Bewlie Cemeteries" published by Selkirkshire Antiquarian Society, 1969 (listed in the LDS Family History Library catalogue in microfilm format, so hopefully available worldwide in LDS family history centres).
The LDS Family History Library catalogue also lists Cemetery inscriptions from Ladhope parish burying ground, Galashiels, Selkirkshire, Scotland, 19-20th century by Sidney Cramer. This is listed as available in microfilm format, so is hopefully available worldwide in LDS family history centres.
In addition, the Scottish Genealogy Society has several lists for Ladhope in its Edinburgh library.
Graham and Emma Maxwell have transcribed and indexed the 1861 census returns for this parish.
Issue 20 (October 1992) of the Borders Family History Society magazine included the article "Know your parish - Ladhope" on pages 22-23.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ladhope to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Ladhope has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT490367 (Lat/Lon: 55.621433, -2.811122), Ladhope which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)