Hide

North Yell, Church of Scotland

hide
Hide

Cullivoe Cemetery beside Kirk Loch. All that remains of St Olaf's Church.

Hide
image
Fetlar and North Yell , Shetland
image
Fetlar and North Yell , Shetland
Hide

Church of Scotland,
North Yell

Hide
topup

Church History

Cullivoe Cemetery beside Kirk Loch. All that remains of St Olaf's Church.

The 14th century church of St Olaf, which served the parish of North Yell until 1750, since when the building has become dilapidated, and the outside covered with sand. Except for the N wall of the chancel, it is now fragmentary. Once abandoned, the church became a burial place, and the accumulation of sand outside has made necessary a new access at the SE corner of the nave. The successor to this church, also dedicated to St Olaf, stood at HP54260268. A bell, last seen on the beach at Cullivoe, was dated 1694

topup

Maps

It is located at HP5320604898 (Lat/Lon 60.723659, -1.026575). You can see this on maps provided by:

Hide
hide