"NORTHMAVINE, (or Northmaving), a parish in the Mainland, Shetland Islands, coast of Scotland. It comprises the northern part of Mainland, which is indented with many voes or inlets, affording safe harbours for the fishing-boats, and is surrounded on all sides with small islands, holms, and rocks, as Eagleshay, Lamba, Dorholm, Maiden Skerry, Hamnavoe, Burravoe, &c., but only one of these - Lamba - is inhabited. It is a peninsula united to the parish of Delting by a narrow isthmus about 100 yards broad at high water, called Mavis-grind, but so low that at high spring-tides it is entirely surrounded by water. It extends in length about 16 miles from S. to N., with an extreme breadth of about 8 miles."
From The National Gazetteer of of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- The transcription of the section for Northmavine from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Northmavine to another place.
DORE-HOLM, an isle, in the parish of Northmavine, county of Shetland. It is situated in the bay of St. Magnus, south of the mainland of the parish, and derives its name from a remarkable arch which passes through its centre, of lofty and capacious dimensions, and admitting boatmen to fish in the waters beneath, being lighted by an opening at the top. The islet is cue of the smallest of the Shetland group.
EAGLESHAY, an isle, in the parish of Northmavine, county of Shetland. It is one of the smallest of the Shetland group, and is situated in St. Magnus' bay, a short distance westward of Islesburgh on the Mainland: there is some good pasturage; and rabbits are very numerous.
GUNISTER, an isle, in the parish of Northmavine, county of Shetland. It is one of the smallest of the Shetland group, and lies about a mile southward of the main land of the parish: there is pasturage for cattle and sheep.
LAMBA, an isle, in the parish of Northmavine, county of Shetland. This is a small uninhabited isle of the Shetland group, situated on the north-east coast of the Mainland of Shetland, about a mile and a half westward of Bigga island.
MAIDEN-SKERRY, an isle, in the parish of Northmavine, county of Shetland. It consists of a high rock, the upper part of which has never been trodden by man. In the summer season it is occupied by the largest kind of gulls, called the black-backed, which nestle upon it in vast numbers, undisturbed.
STENNESS, an isle, in the parish of Northmavine, county of Shetland. It is a small isle on the north coast of the main land, covering a small bay in the parish, where is a good fishing-station, with drying-houses and other conveniences.
STOURHOLM, an isle, in the parish of Northmavine, county of Shetland. It is a small isle, lying on the north side of the Mainland, in the sound of Yell; and is about a mile in length and half a mile in breadth, and uninhabited.
You can see the administrative areas in which Northmavine has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference HU292815 (Lat/Lon: 60.516026, -1.470127), Northmavine which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)