YELL - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"YELL, (Middle and South) a united parish in the island of Yell, Shetland Isles, coast of Scotland. It comprises the post-office stations of East Yell and Burra-voe, the isles of Hascussay, Samphrey, and the middle and southern portions of the island of Yell. The parish extends 13¼ miles N. and S. in length, with an extreme breadth of 7 miles, including a large extent of water, which is intimately mingled with the land. The chief portion of the land is in pasture and unenclosed moorland. On the W. side of the island of Yell the shores are rocky, but on the E. low and sandy. Traces of copper ore have been found in the serpentine rocks. Most of the inhabitants unite the occupations of farmers and fishermen, and within the last quarter of a century sheep-farming has been successfully introduced. The living of the united parishes of Middle and South Yell is in the presbytery of Burra-voe."
"FETLAR, an island in the parish of Yell, North Shetland Isles, Scotland, 2 miles E. of Yell, and 4 S. of Unst. Its length is 5 miles and its breadth 3. The surface is hilly. The coast line is broken and indented by several creeks and inlets, the principal of which are the bays of Gruting, Tresta, Urie, and Mowick Harbour. Bog, iron ore, copper ore, asbestos, and porcelain clay are found here."
"SAMPHREY, an islet in the parish of Yell, Shetland Isles, coast of Scotland, 2 miles S. of Yell."
"NORTHKIRK, an ancient parish in the Shetland Isles, coast of Scotland, now joined to Yell."
"TRISTA, an ancient parish in the Shetland Islands, coast of Scotland, now joined to Fetlar."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]