Boundaries and General Description The parish of Falkirk is between 7 and 8 miles in length from E. to W. and in some parts more than 4 miles in breadth. It is bounded on the E. by the Firth of Forth and the parish of Polmont; on the S. by the parishes of Polmont and Slamannan; on the W. by Cumbernauld and Denny; and on the N. by the river Carron, which separates it from the united parishes of Larbert and Dunipace. By the changes which the course of this river has undergone a few houses belonging to this parish are now on the Larbert side; and a few, which are connected to that parish, and on the Falkirk side of the river.
From a reference to the parish of Falkirk, in an action with respect to the patronage of the church and the parish of Oldhamstocks, in the presbytery of Dunbar, which was depending in the year 1748 between the King and Mr Hay of Lawfield, it appears that the parishes of Denny, Slamannan, Muiravonside, and Polmont, constituted formerly parts of the parsonage of Falkirk. The three first of these parishes must have been very early separated from Falkirk; but it was not till the year 1724 that Polmont was formed into a parish. The minister of Polmont has not only stipend from his own parish, but also from those of Falkirk and Denny"
Parish of Falkirk (County of Stirling, Synod of Lothian and Tweedsdale, Presbytery of Linlithgow) By James Wilson M.A. Minister of the Parish. (Statistical Account of Scotland 1791-1799)