National Gazetteer, 1868
Strathblane - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"STRATHBLANE, a parish in the county of Stirling, Scotland. It extends in length about 5 miles from N.W. to S.E., with an extreme breadth of about 4 miles. The country is watered by six small lakes, covering from 8 to 60 acres each, and abounding with pike, perch, and trout. The hills which rise on the N., adjoining the boundary with Killearn and Campsie, constitute part of that range anciently known as the Lennox hills, and at the hill of Earl's Seat attain an elevation of 1,400 feet above sea-level. The low grounds are fertile. In this parish are some basalt pillars 30 feet in height, and from 2 to 3 feet in diameter. The soil in the upper part of the valley is sandy, but in the lower part clay and loam. The prevailing rocks are Old Red sandstone, but at one point on the river bank no fewer than 192 alternate strata of earth and limestone have been counted. The air is mild and healthy. The parish is traversed by the great road from Glasgow, and is within easy access of the terminus of the Campsie branch of the Edinburgh and Glasgow railway. The village of Strathblane is about 3 miles S.W. of Fintry, and 4 N. of Milngavie. It is on the river Blane, which signifies "the warm river," and has a fall at Ballagan Spout of 70 feet. Many of its inhabitants are employed in the cotton mills and in the bleach and print works. In the vicinity are the ruins of Mugdock Castle, which has an echo repeating six syllables. This parish is in the presbytery of Dumbarton and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. The stipend of the minister is about £231. There are a parochial library and a girls' school. The castle and estate of Duntreath, formerly one of the greater baronies, and in right whereof the proprietors sat in the Scottish parliament without election or patent, still constitutes about a third part of the parish, and belongs to the illustrious family of Edmonstone."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)