"CLYNE, a parish in the county of Sutherland, Scotland. It is 24 miles long with a breadth of 4 to 8 miles. The northern part is lofty and mountainous, and presents very attractive features. Not more than a sixtieth part of the surface is arable, the remainder being devoted to sheep-pasture. The Duke of Sutherland is the sole landowner, and most of the inhabitants on the coast are fishermen. Freestone and limestone are abundant. Craigbar, a fortified hill on the S. side of Loch Brora, is supposed to be of Pictish origin, as is also Cole's Castle, a remarkable fortification on a rocky island in the Blackwater of Strathbeg, near the junction of that river with the Brora. It is circular in form, with an external circumference of 54 yards, and has a diameter of 18 yards, it is built of large stones, well joined together without cement. This parish is in the presbytery of Domoch, and in the patronage of the Duke of Sutherland. The minister's stipend is £145. There are also a Free church and three non-parochial schools."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Clyne Parish Church
- Clyne Free Church
- Christ the King - Catholic
- St Columba - Scottish Episcopalian
The present Parish Church on Victoria Road opened in 1907. At this time the village of Brora was growing and the existing church at Clynekirkton was some distance away.
The church at Clynekirkton was built c1775 and greatly enlarged in 1827. It is believed that it was built on the site of a much older church, possibly dedicated to St Aloyne. It was finally abandoned in 1922. The north wing was removed but all other walls are still standing. There is a bell tower (1 of only 4 in the country) on a small knoll behind the church. Evidence supporting the existance of an earlier church include the finding of stones with pictish symbols on the site in 19th century. These are now in the Dunrobin Castle museum. There is a graveyard surounding the church.
In earlier times a much higher percentage of the parish population lived in the townships in Strath Brora and there is some evidence of several churches in the strath, though no physical proof remains. Suggested sites include Kilpheder Mor, Killin and Ascoile. There is a small graveyard at Ascoile and the church may have been close by.
Clyne Free Church on Gower Street was formed in 1843 under the ministry of the Rev George McKay. This was a wooden building. The present stone church was built in 1849.
St Columba Scottish Episcopal Church on Victoria Road was built in 1909 to cater for the increasing number of visitors to the local sporting estates. This church was constructed of timber and corrugated iron sheeting. This was intended as a temporary structure but is still standing and in use.
Christ the King Catholic Church on Gower Street was opened in 1957.
- The transcription of the section for Clyne from the National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868).
- The transcription for Brora in this parish from the Topographical Dictionary of Scotland by Samuel Lewis (1851).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Clyne to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Clyne has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NC781161 (Lat/Lon: 58.1172, -4.070644), Clyne which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)