Hide

Eddrachillis, Church of Scotland

hide
Hide
image
Eddrachillis, Sutherland
Hide

Church of Scotland,
Eddrachillis

Hide
topup

Church History

This former Church is on the west side of the A894 south of Scourie Bay.

Following the re-establishment of Presbyterianism in 1690, it was soon thought that the parish of Durness, which at that time stretched from Skerray to Kylesku was too large for one minister to cover. In fact, in 1638, an agreement had been made between Donald, 1st Lord Reay, and the Bishop of Caithness for the Tongue part of the parish of Durness to be disjoined and become the Parish of Kintail. The plan was shelved, but in 1724, the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland split the parish of Durness into three parishes: a much reduced parish of Durness, a parish of Tongue, and a parish of Eddrachillis

In Eddrachillis, there had been no church building, so one was built south of Scourie. It was originally heather-thatched, but was later slated. (The building still stands, having been converted into a house c.1970.)

topup

Maps

It is located at NC1512044344 (Lat/Lon 58.348485, -5.160847). You can see this on maps provided by:

Hide
hide