Hide

Kildonan, Church of Scotland

hide
Hide
image
Kildonan, Sutherland
Hide

Church of Scotland,
Kildonan

Hide
topup

Church History

James Boag, 1786-88. Later alterations and additions date from around 1918. Small plain rectangular church, harled with ashlar dressings. Entrance in southeast with chamfered and stopped margins and simple moulded cornice, flanked by small window; simple plank door with decorative wrought-iron hinges. Three long windows in south elevation, that to southeast replacing former doorway. Blocked gallery window in east gable; later bellcote at east gable apex, and ball finial at west.

Built on site of medieval church of St Donan, belonging to Scone Abbey. Present church replaced heather thatched "popish building" with Gothic window and Clan Gunn Mortuary chapel. The church of 1786 described in detail by Donald Sage, whose father, Alexander, was Minister, 1787-1824. Pulpit originally stood in centre of south wall, flanked by two large windows, galleries in east, west and north reached by external forestairs. Stained glass in memory of F. Sykes of Borrobol, 1873-1917. Plaque at east gable erected in July, 1968 as memorial to George Bannerman of Kildonan, great-grandfather to Rt. Hon. J.D. Diefenbaker Prime Minister of Canada and to all Selkirk Settlers who immigrated in 1812-13 to Red River Settlement, Province of Manitoba.

topup

Maps

It is located at NC9100120739 (Lat/Lon 58.162035, -3.854177). You can see this on maps provided by:

Hide
hide