Testamentary Records for Wigtownshire
At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:
Wigtown Commissary Court
- 1 Extracted Processes, 1700-1822 (with gaps)
- 2 Unextracted Processes, 1704-1822 (with gaps)
- 3 Warrants of Testaments, 1641, 1685-86, 1694, 1700-1823 (with gaps)
- An index to the Warrants of Testaments, 1700-1800, was published as The Commissariot Record of Wigtown 1700-1800 by the Scottish Record Society in1904. It can be read online at the Open Library.
- 4 Register of Inventories and Settlements, 1810-26
- 5 Edicts, 1700-1823
- 6 Inventory of Records
- 7 Miscellaneous Papers, 17th - 19th cent.
- 8 Diet books, 1753-1775, 1784-1826.
The Scotland's People website has indexes to the Wigtown Commissary Court, 1700-1826 (CC22/3/1-6), and images of the testaments, inventories and settlements (CC22/3/1-6 and CC22/4/1-4).
The LDS have filmed the following records which may be consulted at LDS Family History Centres.
LDS Library Film Numbers:
231254 Wigtown Commissary Court Warrants of Testaments, v.1-2, 1641-1731 Original documents: National Records of Scotland - CC22/3/1,2 231255 Warrants of Testaments, v.2, 1732-1745 Original documents: National Records of Scotland - CC22/3/2 231256 Warrants of Testaments, v.2-3,1746-1764 Original documents: National Records of Scotland - CC22/3/2,3 231257 Warrants of Testaments, v.3-4, 1751-1789 Original documents: National Records of Scotland - CC22/3/3,4 231258 Warrants of Testaments, v.4-5, 1789-1809 Original documents: National Records of Scotland - CC22/3/4,5 304674 Warrants of Testaments, v.5-6, 1806-1823 Original documents: National Records of Scotland - CC22/3/5,6 (Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)
Wigtown Sheriff Court:
Register of Deeds and Protests
- 40 Diet books, 1826-1896
- 41 Commissary record (Record of inventories only from 1927), 1826-1966.
- The Scotland's People website has indexes to Wigtown Sheriff Court Commissary Records, 1826-1901 (SC19/41/1-22), and images of the testaments.
- The Index to the inventories of the personal estates of defuncts: recorded in the Commissary Court books of Ayr, Kirkcudbright, Wigtown, Dumfries, Roxburgh, Berwick, Peebles, and Selkirk, published 1868, indexes inventories of estates of deceased people in these counties between 1846 and 1867. The LDS have filmed the book (film 1368217).
- 42 Minute book of inventories, 1928-1968
- 43 Unallocated
- 44 Record of confirmations (from vol 20 also contains record of inventories), 1927-1975
- 45 Unallocated
- 46 Unallocated
- 47 Record of wills, 1927-1975
- 48 Bonds of caution, 1715-1975
- 49 Unallocated
- 55 Minute book of deeds, 1st series, 1636-1809
- 56 Register of deeds, 2nd series, 1809-1973
- 57 Minute book of deeds, 2nd series, 1847-1852
- 58 Warrants of deeds, [c 1700]-1970
Data provided by the Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)