St Columba, Bathgate, Scottish Episcopal
It was founded in 1915.
Prior to 1916 the Scottish Episcopal Church in Bathgate met in the Masonic Hall in Jarvey Street. The nearest dedicated church was St Paul’s Episcopal church in Armadale and the Bathgate community was linked with this church. In 1915 Bathgate got its own Episcopal Church building, in a gothic style, at a cost of £1,400 in Glasgow Road. It was dedicated to St Columba on May 17th 1916. A church hall and tennis court was added in the 1930’s. In the early 1940’S St Paul’s in Armadale closed leaving St Columba’s as an independent church. In the early 1970’s St Columba’s once again became a joint charge, this time with St Mildred’s, now St Peter’s in Linlithgow.
The 1990s brought more change. With the church hall in danger of collapse, the decision was taken to sell some of the land surrounding the church and change the church itself into a multi purpose building. During 1998/99 the work was undertaken at a cost of £70,000 and on 31st August 1999 the new building was rededicated.
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)