BORROWSTOUNNESS, West Lothian - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"BORROWSTOUNNESS, (or Borrowstownness or Bo'ness), a parish and seaport town in the county of Linlithgow, Scotland, 3 miles to the N. of Linlithgow. It is a station on the Monkland railway. The parish is situated on the south coast of the Frith of Forth, at the mouth of the river Avon, and contains the villages of Borrowstown and Newtown. The town is a burgh of barony under the Duke of Hamilton, and one of the oldest seaports in Scotland. Till about 1650, it formed part of the ancient parish of Kinneil.
The district is fertile and well cultivated, and contains coal and iron, limestone, freestone, &c. The town stands on a low spot by the Frith, and is irregularly built. The principal occupation of the inhabitants is the shipping trade, which is chiefly coastwise, and of less extent than formerly. The port, about the close of the 17th century, ranked next in importance to Leith. Subordinate to it are the ports of Brucehaven, Limekilns, Charlestown, Inverkeithing, and St. David's. About 80 vessels belong to the port. The harbour is safe, and well protected by two long piers.
There is in the town a large distillery, a pottery, a foundry, and a rope work. Ship-building is carried on, and there is a patent slip. A custom-house is established here. The living, which is of the value of £272, is in the presbytery of Linlithgow, and in the patronage of the Duke of Hamilton. The church was built on the creation of the parish, in the 17th century. The old church at Kinneil is decayed. There is a Free church for Borrowstownness and Carriden, and also a church belonging to the United Presbyterians.
Kinneil House, a seat of the Duke of Hamilton, is pleasantly situated on the Frith, and was for a long time the residence of the philosopher Dugald Stewart. The wall of Antoninus crossed this parish, and remains of it still exist at Graham's Dyke."
"BORROWSTOWN, a village in the parish of Borrowstounness, in the county of Linlithgow, Scotland, 2 miles to the N. of Linlithgow. It is situated on the coast of the Frith of Forth, and is a station on the Monkland railway."
"CHAPELTON, a village in the parish of Borrowstounness, in the county of Linlithgow, Scotland, 2½ miles N.W. of Linlithgow."
"KINNEIL, an ancient parish in county Linlithgow, Scotland, now joined to Bo'ness. Here is Kinneil House, a seat of the Duke of Hamilton, where Dugald Stuart lived as tutor. It contains some fine carving, and is hung with ancient tapestry."
"NEWTOWN, a village in the parish of Borrowstounness, county Linlithgow, Scotland, 2 miles N.W. of Linlithgow."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)