St Machan, Ecclesmachan, Church of Scotland
It was founded before 1244.
Ancient settlement nestling by its burn in a fold of the hills, Ecclesmachan's name may derive from the Celtic Eglwys St Machan. Of the kirk Strathbrock St Machan, dedicated by Bishop David de Burnham in 1244, only two blocked doorways on the south façade, outlined by chevron mouldings, and the elegant rectangularity survive. Venetian window set in blocked Norman arch (to chancel?) on east gable. West chancel added, 1908, by Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh. Predominantly 1822 and 1908 in character. Some fine stained glass, 1905, A Ballantine, and 1954 & 1964 by William Wilson. Manse, 1850s, is a gracious, harled, L-plan house with stone margins, corner pilasters and chimneystacks: altered by Brown & Wardrop, 1858, who added the graceful ashlar pedimented porch. Parts clearly predate 1800. Note the rolled skewputts. It was the birthplace of Robert Liston, 1794-1847, the celebrated surgeon, whose father was minister of the parish.
Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)