"A village and a parish of W Linlithgowshire. The village stands 1 ½ miles ENE of Westfield statiion, 4 ½ miles SSW of Linlithgow, and 2 3/8 N by W of Bathgate, under which it has a post office. A place of great antiquity, and once of much importance, it now has an entirely rural character, and presents a straggling but pleasant appearance."
Extract from Groomes Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland c.1895.
|Torphichen , Torphichen, Church of Scotland|
|Torphichen Parish Church, Torphichen, Church of Scotland|
|Manse Road, Torphichen, United Free Church of Scotland|
- The transcription of the section for Torphichen from the National Gazetteer (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Torphichen to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Torphichen has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NS925703 (Lat/Lon: 55.913643, -3.722124), Torphichen which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)