Boundary Changes 1889-92 : Dumbartonshire
18.—COUNTY OF DUMBARTON.
There was only one parish, viz, New Kilpatrick which was situated partly in the county of Dumbarton end partly in another county. The county has a large detached part consisting of the entire parishes of Cumbernauld and Kirkintilloch, but it is provided by Section 40 of the Local (Government (Scotland) Acts 1869, that, not withstanding the provisions of the Act for dealing with detached parts, this detached part shall continue to form part of Dumbarton.
The following is the only change in the county boundary :—
The parish was situated partly in the county of Dumbarton and partially in the county of Stirling. By the Order printed at p. 89 the parish was placed in the county of Dumbarton, no change being made on the boundary. The area thus transferred includes the town of Milngavie, which contains a very large number of subjects of small value, which it would be useless to enumerate. The landward subjects are, however, given below. Every subject in the parish of New Kilpatrick (ncluding every subject in the town of Milngavie) is now in the county of Dumbarton,
The following subjects have thus been transferred from the county of Stirling to the county of Dumbarton (while remaining in the parish of New Kilpatrick) :—
The Police Burgh of Milngavie, with all the subjects therein, and all the landward subjects.
|Barloch||Farm,||Trustees of late Mrs Grace Holmes or M'Intosh, Miss J H Hughes and Miss Agnes Longmuir|
|Do.||Houses and land,||Do.|
|Lower Barloch||Houses, byre and land,||Do.|
|Barrachan||Farm,||Commissioners of Glasgow Corporation Waterworks|
|Deerpark Cottage||House and land,||Do.|
|Water Pipes, &c.||Do.|
|Bearsden, Done Hollow||House and land,||Alexander Simpson|
|Do., West Chapelton||Houses, land, byre and sand quarry,||William Barr|
|Boclair,||Farm,||Trustees of Sir G Campbell of Succoth.|
|Temple of Boclair,||Do.||Do.|
|Chapelton,||Farm (part),||Rev. J E C Colquhoun of Killermont.|
|East Chapelton,||Reformatory, houses and land,||Directors of Houses of Refuge, &c. in City of Glasgow.|
|Clober Road,||Laundry and bleachworks,||Robert Learmont and Joseph Kaye Fairlie.|
|Clober,||Lands,||Trustees of late Alex. Dunlop of Clober.|
|Do.||Mansion house, offices, servants' houses, and policies,||Do.|
|Cloberfield,||House, bleachfield, cottages, and land,||Do.|
|Craigdow,||Land,||a Campbell Douglas of Mains.|
|Dougalston,||Mansion house, offices, servants' houses, policies, land, and woodlands,||Thomas Ripley Ker of Dougalston.|
|Do.||House and smithy,||Do.|
|Clober,||Lands and farm,||Do.|
|Hillend and Ballflewr's||Land (part),||Do.|
|Drumclog, and part of Hilton,||Land and house,||Duke of Montrose.|
Graham of Craigallian.
|North British Railway (Milngavie) line (1 mile 75 chains); also Milngavie and Summerston stations,||North British Railway Company.|
(Sheet 30 of the Ordnance Survey maps of Scotland, one inch scale.)
1. The counties are arranged in the order as in the Census returns, "such that a zig-zag line beginning at the north of Scotland and carried to the south passes successively through every County". The counties have the same numbers as in the Census returns.
2. The subjects transferred are enumerated under the head of the County or Parish to which they are transferred. Thus when an area has been transferred from County A to County B, the subjects affected are enumerated under County B, and a cross reference is given under County A.
3. The names of subjects are those contained in the Valuation Rolls. In the description of subjects the term "farm" includes the farm-house and servants' houses, and the term "croft" includes the house. But where any of the servants' houses on the farm have distinctive names, such houses are detailed separately. "House" includes "cottage", and "land" includes gardens, yards &c.
4. The names of proprietors are in almost all cases those given in The Valuation Rolls of 1890-91. It is therefore to be borne in mind that those who are described as proprietors may be limited owners only, such as liferenters or leaseholders.
5. Where villages or towns are affected, the names of the subjects and proprietors are not usually given. The description of the area transferred is in such cases quite sufficient to show whatever and to what extent any subject in the village or town has been affected by the Order.
6. The Ordnance Survey maps referred to are those published by the Ordnance Survey Department on the scale of one inch to the mile. Those published down to this date (1891), show the Counties and Parishes as they were before the Order of the Commissioners came into operation. It is expected that, when the work of the Commissioners is completed, revised maps will be issued to show the altered boundaries, but the sheets of the revised maps will bear the same numbers as the present maps. The Orders and the explanations can be followed readily on the maps as published at present.
7. An ampersand (&) has been used wherever a County or a Parish has a double name, e.g. "Ross & Cromarty" or "Fetlar & North Yell".
8. In most cases it is necessary to read the text of the order along with the explanation, because the full descriptions contained in the Orders are, as a rule, not repeated in the explanation.