Hide

Boundary Changes 1889-92 : Dumfries

hide
Hide

Transcription

31.—COUNTY OF DUMFRIES.

I.—COUNTY BOUNDARIES.

The County of Dumfries had two parishes situated partly in that county and partly in another county (the county of Lanark), viz., Kirkpatrick
-Juxta and Moffat.

The following changes have been made on the county boundaries :—

1.—Kirkpatrick-Juxta

The parish of Kirkpatrick-Juxta, which is shown on the Ordnance Survey maps as wholly in the county of Dumfries, was really
 situated jointly in that county and partly in the county of Lanark.
 By the Order printed at p. 100 the parish was placed wholly in the 
county of Dumfries, matters now being in the position in which they
 are represented on the Ordnance Survey maps.

The following subjects have thus been transferred from the county
 of Lanark to the county of Dumfries (while remaining in the parish of 
Kirkpatrick-Juxta :—

PlaceDescriptionProprietor
Whiteholm,House and land,J. J. Hope Johnstone.
Do.Shepherd's house,Do.


(Sheet 15 and 16 of the Ordnance Survey maps of Scotland, one-inch scale.)

2.—Moffat.

The parish of Moffat, which was situated partly in the county of
 Dumfries and partly in the county of Lanark, has by the Order
 printed at p. 101 been placed wholly in the county of Dumfries.

The following subjects have thus been transferred from the county 
of Lanark to the county of Dumfries (while remaining in the parish
 of Moffat) :—

PlaceDescriptionProprietor
Harthope,Farm,William Johnstone.
Do.Shepherd's house,Do.
Raecleugh,Farm,J. J. Hope Johnstone.
Do.Shepherd's house,Do.
Part of the Caledonian Railway line (1 mile 12 chains) Caledonian Railway Co.


(Sheet 16 of the Ordnance Survey maps of Scotland, one-inch scale.)


II.—PARISH BOUNDARIES.

1.—Dornock and Kirkpatrick-Fleming.

The parish of Dornock had a detached part situated to the north 
of the main portion of the parish and separated from it by an intervening portion of the parish of Kirkpatrick-Fleming. By the Order 
printed at p. 124 this intervening portion (as fully described in the Order) has been transferred to the parish of Dornock, and this main
 portion of Dornock has been united with its detached part.

The following subjects have thus been transferred from the parish
 of Kirkpatrick-Fleming to the parish of Dornock :—

PlaceDescriptionProprietor
Floshpark,House,John Ramsay.
Scotsfield,Farm,Do.
Do.House and offices,Do.

(Sheet 10 of the Ordnance Survey maps of Scotland, one-inch scale.)

EXPLANATORY NOTES

1. The counties are arranged in the order as in the Census returns, "such that a zig-zag line beginning at the north of Scotland and carried to the south passes successively through every County". The counties have the same numbers as in the Census returns.

2. The subjects transferred are enumerated under the head of the County or Parish to which they are transferred. Thus when an area has been transferred from County A to County B, the subjects affected are enumerated under County B, and a cross reference is given under County A.

3. The names of subjects are those contained in the Valuation Rolls. In the description of subjects the term "farm" includes the farm-house and servants' houses, and the term "croft" includes the house. But where any of the servants' houses on the farm have distinctive names, such houses are detailed separately. "House" includes "cottage", and "land" includes gardens, yards &c.

4. The names of proprietors are in almost all cases those given in The Valuation Rolls of 1890-91. It is therefore to be borne in mind that those who are described as proprietors may be limited owners only, such as liferenters or leaseholders.

5. Where villages or towns are affected, the names of the subjects and proprietors are not usually given. The description of the area transferred is in such cases quite sufficient to show whatever and to what extent any subject in the village or town has been affected by the Order.

6. The Ordnance Survey maps referred to are those published by the Ordnance Survey Department on the scale of one inch to the mile. Those published down to this date (1891), show the Counties and Parishes as they were before the Order of the Commissioners came into operation. It is expected that, when the work of the Commissioners is completed, revised maps will be issued to show the altered boundaries, but the sheets of the revised maps will bear the same numbers as the present maps. The Orders and the explanations can be followed readily on the maps as published at present.

7. An ampersand (&) has been used wherever a County or a Parish has a double name, e.g. "Ross & Cromarty" or "Fetlar & North Yell".

8. In most cases it is necessary to read the text of the order along with the explanation, because the full descriptions contained in the Orders are, as a rule, not repeated in the explanation.