Hide

Boundary Changes 1889-92 : Midlothian

hide
Hide

Transcription

25.-COUNTY OF EDINBURGH. (now Midlothian)

I.—COUNTY BOUNDARIES.

The county of Edinburgh contained a detached part of the county
 of Haddington which was at the same time a detached part of the
 parish of Humbie. There were four parishes situated partly in the
 county of Edinburgh and partly in other counties, viz., Cramond, 
Fala & Soutra, Kirkliston, and Stow.

The following changes have been effected on the county
 boundaries :—

A. With the County of Haddington.

1.—Fala & Soutra.

The parish of Fala & Soutra was situated partly in the county of
 Edinburgh and partly in the county of Haddington. By the Order printed at p. 104 the parish was placed wholly in the county of Edinburgh.

The following subjects have thus been transferred from the county 
of Haddington to the county of Edinburgh :—

Place Description Proprietor
Chesterhill, Farm (part), Archibald Broun of Johnstoneburn.
Gilston, Farm and woodlands, Trustees of late John Dun.
Nether Brotherstone, Farm, Mrs. Ann Young.
Soutra Mains, Farm, Thomas Elliot Ogilvie of Chesters.
Do. Houses, Do.
Woodcote, Mansion-house, offices, policies, and woodlands, Alexander Crombie of Thornton.
Do. Sawmill, tilework, mill, smithy, and land Do.
Woodcote Mains, Farm, Do.

(Sheets 25 and 33 of the Ordnance Survey Maps of Scotland, one-inch scale.)

2.—Humbie.

The parish of Humbie had a detached part which was at the same time a detached part of the county of Haddington. By the Order printed at p. 104 this detached part was transferred to the county of Edinburgh and to the parish of Fala & Soutra.

The following subjects have been transferred from the 
county of Haddington to the county of Edinburgh (and at the same
 time from the parish of Humbie to the parish of Fala & Soutra).

Place Description Proprietor
Blackshiels, House, offices and land, Earl of Stair.
Do. Shop and houses, Do.
Do., Youngston's field House and land Viscount Dalrymple and Hon. N. de C. Dalrymple.
Do. House, office and garden, Heirs of late John Chisholm.
Do. House and garden, Do.
Westmains of Blackshiels, Farm, George Wright of Blackcastle.
Do. House and land, Do.

(Sheet 33 of the Ordnance Survey maps of Scotland, one-inch scale.)

B. With the County of Linlithgow.

1.—Cramond and Dalmeny.

Cramond was situated partly in the county of Edinburgh and 
partly in the county of Linlithgow, the county boundary being the the River Almond. By the Order printed at p. 102
 the Linlithgowshire part of Cramond parish was transferred to the
 parish of Dalmeny, and the only alteration made on the county boundary was one by which a small part of Dalmeny parish on the Edinburgh side of the River Almond was transferred to the parish of
 Cramond and to the county of Edinburgh.

For details as to the subjects transferred from the parish of
 Cramond to the parish of Dalmeny, see County of Linlithgow,
 Dalmeny, supra, p. 305.

The following subject was transferred from the county of Linlithgow to the county of Edinburgh (and at the same time from the parish 
of Dalmeny to the parish of Cramond) :—

Place   Description Proprietor
Turnhouse,   Farm, J. C. Hope Vere of Craigiehall.

(Sheet 32 of the Ordnance Survey maps of Scotland, one-inch scale.)

2.—Kirkliston.

The parish of Kirkliston had a detached part in the county of
 Edinburgh which has been transferred to the parish of Currie (see Currie, infra, p. 312). Further, the main portion of Kirkliston
 parish was situated partly in the county of Edinburgh and partly in 
the county of Linlithgow, On 7th July 1891 the Boundary Commissioners issued a Draft Order by which they proposed to transfer 
the Edinburgh portion of Kirkliston parish to he parish of Ratho,
 the county boundary being unaltered. On 12th November 1891,
 however, they intimated their intention of issuing no final Order, and
 accordingly the main portion of the parish remains as hitherto divided
 between the two counties mentioned.

C. With the County of Selkirk.

1.—Stow.

The parish of Stow was situated
 partly in the county of Edinburgh and partly in the county of Selkirk. On 15th August 1890
 the Boundary Commissioners issued a Draft Order by which it was 
proposed to place the parish wholly in the county of Edinburgh. On
 reconsideration of the question in the light of the objections and
 representations made with reference to the Draft Order, the Commissioners issued a circular on 23d March 1891 intimating that they
 had resolved to issue no Order, but to leave the parish of Stow, as hitherto, partly in the county of Edinburgh and partly in the county of Selkirk. They further expressed the opinion that the wider powers conferred on the Secretary of State by Section 51 of the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1889, should be utilised in the formation of a new civil parish of Caddonfoot, which should embrace the whole
 part of the parish of Stow.

(Sheets 24 and 25 of the Ordnance Survey maps of Scotland, one-inch scale.)

II.—PARISH BOUNDARIES.

1.—Borthwick,

The parish of Borthwick had one detached part situated at the
 north-east corner of the parish of Heriot. By Order printed at p. 105 this detached part has been transferred to the parish of Heriot. The
 parish of Borthwick has been further altered in area through the transference to it of the detached part of the parish of iTemple, situated at Gorebridge, by the Order printed at p. 108.

The following subjects have this been transferred :—

(a.) From the parish of Borthwick to the parish of Heriot.—See
 Heriot, infra, p. 312.
(b.) From the parish of Temple to the parish of Borthwick :—

The village of Gorebridge, insofar as previously in the parush of Temple, consisting chiefly of small urban subjects, including part of gas-work.
The village of Stobsmills, consisting of small urban subjects.
The village of Stobhill and Mossend, consisting of small urban subjects, chiefly miners' houses.

Place Description Proprietor
Clayhouse, House and garden, Miss M. W. Renton.
Hillside, House and shed, Thomas Thomson.
Millstone Brow, Quarry, Capt. J.C. Dewar of Vogrie
Stobbs Green, Houses (miners'), Do.
Stobhill, House, Do.
Vogrie Engine, Houses (miners'), Do.
Vogrie,   Capt. J.C. Dewar of Vogrie
Stobbs Mains,   Do.
Towerdean,   Do.
Water-pipes, &c.,   Gorebridge Water Co., Ld.
Part of the North British Railway line (37 chains),   North British Railway Co.
Gorebridge Station,   Do.

(Sheets 32 and 33 of the Ordnance Survey maps of Scotland, one-inch scale.)

2.—Canongate, City of Edinburgh, St. Cuthbrts, and South Leith.

Each of these parishes had detached parts. The Commissioner s
have signed and sealed a final Order readjusting the boundaries of
 these parishes, but at the date of writing it is not known whether the Order will be brought before Parliament or not. The Order is printed
in the First Appendix.

3.—Corstorphine.

The parish of Corstorphine had one small detached part, situated
 south-west of the village of Corstorphine and west of South Gyle.
 By the Order printed at p. 106 this detached
 part was transferred to the parish of Currie.

For details see Currie, infra, p. 312.

4.—Cramond.

The parish of Cramond has been altered in area by the Order 
printed at p. 102, (a) through the transference of the Linlithgowshire part of the parish to the parish of Dalmeny (see County of 
Linlithgow, Dalmeny, supra, p. 305), and (b) through the transference
 to Cramond of the small portion of Dalmeny on the right bank of the
 River Almond (see Cramond, &c., supra, p. 300).

5.—Cranston and Crichton.

The parish of Cranston had a detached part situated on the south-west border of the parish of Crichton. By the Order printed at p. 106 the detached part has been transferred to the parish of Crichton. The 
following subjects have thus been transferred from the parish of Cranston to the parish of Crichton :—

Place Description Proprietor
Cakemuir, Castle, offices, house and garden, George Wight.
Do. Farm (part), Do.

(Sheet 33 of the Ordnance Surrey maps of Scotland, one-inch scale.)`

6.—Currie.

The parish of Currie has been altered in area (a) by the addition of the 
detached part of the parish of Corstorphine, situated near

 South Gyle, in the north of Currie parish (see Order printed at p.
106), and (b) by the addition of the detached part of the parish of Kirkliston 
situated at the south extremity of Currie parish (see Order printed at p. 107).

The following subjects have thus been transferred:—

(a.) From the parish of Corstorphine to the parish of Currie.

Place Description Proprietor
Gyle Muir, Hermiston Myre, &c., Land, Sir James H. Gibson-Craig, Bart.


(b.) From the parish of Kirkliston to the parish of Currie.

Place Description Proprietor
Listonshiels. Farm, Sir James Liston Foulis, Bart.
Water-pipes, &c.,   Edinburgh and District Water Trust.

(Sheet 32 of the Ordnance Survey maps of Scotland, one-inch scale.)

7.—Fala & Soutra.

The parish of Fala & Soutra has been altered in area through the
 addition of the detached part of the parish of Humbie by the Order
 printed at p. 104.

For details as to the subjects thus transferred from the parish of
 Humbie to the parish of Fala & Soutra, see Humbie, supra, p. 308.

8.—Heriot.

The parish of Heriot has been altered in area (a) through the
 addition of the detached part of the parish of Borthwick by the Order
 printed at p. 105, and (b) through the addition of the detached part
of the parish of Stow by the Order printed at p. 107. Both these
 detached parts were situated on the north-east border of Heriot parish. 
The following subjects have thus been transferred :—

(a) From the parish of Borthwick to the parish of Heriot.

Place Description Proprietor
Cowbraehill, Farm, John Borthwick of Crookston.
Cakemuirhill, Do. (part), Do.
Part of the North British Railway (35
 chains),   North British Railway Co.


(b) From the parish of Stow to the parish of Heriot.

Place Description Proprietor
Nettleflat, Farm (part), John Borthwick of Crookston.
Part of the North British Railway ( mile 31
 chains),   North British Railway Co.

Part of Fallahill Goods Station,   Do.

(Sheets 25 and 33 of the Ordnance Survey Maps of Scotland, one-inch scale.)

9.—Kirkliston.

See County of Linlithgow, Kirkliston, supra, p. 307.

10.—Stow.

The parish of Stow has been altered in area through the transference of its detached part to Heriot parish by the Order printed at
 p. 107. For details see Heriot, supra, p. 312.

11.—Temple.

The parish of Temple has been altered in area through the transference of its detached part to Borthwick parish by the Order printed 
at p. 108. For details see Borthwick, supra, p. 310.

EXPLANATORY NOTES

1. The counties are arranged in the order as in the Census returns, "such that a zig-zag line beginning at the north of Scotland and carried to the south passes successively through every County". The counties have the same numbers as in the Census returns.

2. The subjects transferred are enumerated under the head of the County or Parish to which they are transferred. Thus when an area has been transferred from County A to County B, the subjects affected are enumerated under County B, and a cross reference is given under County A.

3. The names of subjects are those contained in the Valuation Rolls. In the description of subjects the term "farm" includes the farm-house and servants' houses, and the term "croft" includes the house. But where any of the servants' houses on the farm have distinctive names, such houses are detailed separately. "House" includes "cottage", and "land" includes gardens, yards &c.

4. The names of proprietors are in almost all cases those given in The Valuation Rolls of 1890-91. It is therefore to be borne in mind that those who are described as proprietors may be limited owners only, such as liferenters or leaseholders.

5. Where villages or towns are affected, the names of the subjects and proprietors are not usually given. The description of the area transferred is in such cases quite sufficient to show whatever and to what extent any subject in the village or town has been affected by the Order.

6. The Ordnance Survey maps referred to are those published by the Ordnance Survey Department on the scale of one inch to the mile. Those published down to this date (1891), show the Counties and Parishes as they were before the Order of the Commissioners came into operation. It is expected that, when the work of the Commissioners is completed, revised maps will be issued to show the altered boundaries, but the sheets of the revised maps will bear the same numbers as the present maps. The Orders and the explanations can be followed readily on the maps as published at present.

7. An ampersand (&) has been used wherever a County or a Parish has a double name, e.g. "Ross & Cromarty" or "Fetlar & North Yell".

8. In most cases it is necessary to read the text of the order along with the explanation, because the full descriptions contained in the Orders are, as a rule, not repeated in the explanation.